If you have algae, you have nutrients which are feeding the algae.
Getting a proper bio-load (demand placed upon the material, chemical and biological filters by uneaten food, decomposing inhabitants, accumulated organics and waste produced by livestock, foods and plant matter in the aquarium filtration system) established can be done by understanding the basics- the more poopers you have, the more eaters you need.
One key to proper bio-load is to have biological diversity.
Please note the questionnaire below will help us steer you in the direction to reduce the overall nutrient accumulation resulting in less algae. The need for proper tank maintenance, water filtration and preparation, along with vigilant husbandry of tank additions also plays a large part in the overall health and aesthetics of your aquarium.
Please copy and paste the questionnaire into an email, complete and send to us at Customize My Crew
Name:_____________ Phone ___________ Email:__________ State:___
1. The size of my tank is approx ______ gallons
2. I have a sump or refugium. Please indicate which one and approx size.______
3. I use a protein skimmer. Brand name if known._____________
4. I empty the cup on my skimmer 1 time every _____ (day, week, month)
5. I perform a ____% water change every _____ (week, month, other).
6. I have __________ lighting on my tank.
7. I have a ______ substrate (crushed coral, fine sand, bare bottom or other please specify) and it is _____ inches deep.
8. My substrate is _____ old (ie: months, years, etc)
9. I have ____ lbs of live rock or my live rock covers _____ % of my tank surface.
10. My tank presently houses ______ # of fish. Please list fish and sizes:
11. My tank presently houses corals: YES or NO If yes Type(s):
12. My tank presently houses ______ # of crabs. Please list crabs and quantities if possible:
13. My tank presently houses ______ # of snails. Please list snails and quantities if possible:
14. My tank presently houses ______ # of shrimp. Please list shrimp and quantities if possible:
15. My tank presently houses ______ # of misc inverts (like starfish, cucumbers, urchins, lobsters, etc). Please list items and quantities if possible:
16. What is the one thing you LOVE about your tank? ___________________
17. What is the one thing you despise about your tank? ___________________